Saturday, May 26, 2007

Buyers Beware; Deceptive Dealings at Doubleurdeals!

This post is to inform any potential buyers to steer clear of doubleurdeals.com. This seller holds ebay auctions and has a website as well. Be aware that the Motorola cell phone I purchased on ebay from this seller was manufactured and programmed for use in Europe. I only found this out after calling Motorola directly, when I could not get any satisfaction from the seller. The day I received the phone, I emailed the seller explaining to him that, "there is something strange about this phone, in that even with “English” as the selected language, some of the words in the “menu” are either foreign or displayed with European spellings. The predictive text feature utilized for text messaging, does NOT recognize English words. This phone came with a charger meant for European use, with a U.S. adapter." He wrote back completely ignoring the fact that various features of the phone would never function properly in the U.S., but rather insisted that the phone would receive picture messages and thus "works fine in the U.S."

I wanted to get to the bottom of this conundrum, so I called Motorola directly, and that's when the representative I spoke with confirmed that this phone was programmed with a software version that is not compatible for use in the U.S. This phone was programmed for use in Europe, and this information was never disclosed on the auction site, prior to the sale.

I tried again to convince the seller that he should send me a postage paid return label so I could return this defective phone to him, but he refused, stating that I could return it at my own expense. I did return the phone, at my own expense, which by the way was considerably less than the shipping I paid when I purchased the phone from him (dishonest ebay seller trying to cheat ebay out of their percentage by jacking up the shipping charges). Then the seller informs me that he's not going to give me a full refund, but rather he's witholding a 15% restocking fee. I told him this was unacceptable, since I didn't return the phone simply because I changed my mind, but rather because he [seller] misrepresented the merchandise. He failed to disclose that the phone he sold me was programmed for use in Europe, and that its features would never be fully functional in the U.S. Therefore, because the phone was defective I returned it and am due a full refund.

After more than 20 emails back-and-forth between this seller and myself, on May 9, 2007 he finally agreed to give me a full refund if I wouldn't leave any negative feedback, but as of today, he still hasn't refunded my purchase in full. I currently have a dispute pending with PayPal.

Buyers Beware of doubleurdeals.com... Matt Wiener is a deceptive and dishonest shyster. Mine was definitely not a positive buying experience!

UPDATE ON PENDING DISPUTE: Many thanks to PayPal for their professional handling of this dispute. After carefully considering all the facts from both sides of this dispute (it took them a few weeks, but it was worth the wait), PayPal found in my favor and I was finally awarded a full refund, which never would have been the case if the choice had been left up to Matt Wiener, the disreputable, dishonest shyster!

9 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have had bad dealings with Doubleurdeals!" phone not as discribed. Wanted me to with draw my feed back in order to resolve problem. Here is a e-mail I sent.

You have to be out of your mind wanting us to retract
our feedback without seeing the replacement phone
first. By the way ya'll are the ones that started this
by not giving a real description of the condition of
the phone. I would have retracked the rating had the
replacement been what you said. It is childish of you
to give us a bad rating because I did not trust you
after the false description you put on the first
phone.
But that is ok I know who not to do busness with now.
William Terral
e-mail maria5674@yahoo.com

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI I bought something from doubleurdeals too. A phone, It lasted me 3 month and then the battery went bad. So i emailed them and guess what they sent me a new battery even though the phone was out of warranty. I think these guys shaped up!

U guys rock!

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently having a similar issue except I never received the phone in the first place. I have opened a dispute with Paypal. Someone from Doubleurdeals tried to fool me into closing the dispute by telling me that if I close the dispute he would send out a replacement. There is a yiddish term that would aptly describe these folks...."gunif"...thief!

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought 6 phones from doubleurdeals for my entire family last new years and they are all awsome! I will be back for more!!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Perhaps they've finally decided to clean up their act. However, maybe you (latest anonymous) just got lucky, as I've never known a leopard to change its spots!

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Big M blog said...

Hi,

I appreciate the time you spent sharing your skills.

Recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

 
At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am such an idiot, I forgot to buy my father a gift on father's day and when my sister's gift turned up I felt terrible. Please can anyone name a place where I can buy quality personalized fathers day gifts? I want to make sure I get him something special next time.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks alot for sharing this information with us. My sister will be graduating soon, so I was wondering where I can get good personalized graduation gifts as I want to give her something special.

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous JohnPaul Hencerson said...

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. nice post and thanks for sharing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home